Thursday, July 12, 2007

'ribe tuchus'

Remember that observation writing tool kit I picked up at a flea market a few weeks ago? It's full of cards that are supposed to inspire writing. I've had enough random stuff to say the past couple of weeks that it's been sitting lonely in the corner.

No more of that, today I broke it open and pulled out a card. it said simply 'ribe tuchus'...sit still. Apparently ribe tuchus means sit still in Yiddish. I thought what does this have to do with writing, I turned to the guidebook to find out more. And it was a huge challenge to sit still for an hour and do nothing else but write. I don't think I could ever do it --- I don't sit still, at least not completely --- ever. Not even when I was a little girl. I remember sitting on the couch and my mom trying to bribe me with a candy bar if I could sit completely still for 5 minutes. I put on a pretty good show, except I was moving my finger under a blanket. My mom tore of the blanket and I was busted. No candy bar --- heartbreaking huh.

So now I surf the net, watch tv and snack all at the same time or tap my feet while scrapping. Based on the mess my sheets are in the morning, I'm not even still in sleep.

1 comment:

  1. right on! i CAN do this - LOVE to write but need to get inspired to do it more often. i used to journal since 8th grade. your "ribe tuchus" is making me see it in a new light so thank YOU! hope you are well. hugs!

    ReplyDelete