Thursday, September 28, 2006

News...

It's a crazy world, the latest evidence is the shooting and hostage situation in Bailey. The now famous Bailey Colorado is about 15 miles south of where we live and we just passed this school on our scenic drive on Sunday --- it's a beautiful school, but it is in the middle of nowhere, it's a good 5 miles south of town and surrounded by farm land and foothills. What possesses a person to go into a school and start shooting. After Columbine and others I know that lots of research and funding has gone into anti-bullying efforts. Which is great...but leaves me thinking what else can be done. There is part of me that hopes this man was high on something although from reports it doesn't sound that way. Why do I wish he was high? at least then there would be some reason and under the influence would exclude rational thought. The polly-anna in me just doesn't want to believe that a rational thinking individual could do something like this. For those of you that know me, you know that polly only exists in my mind. In reality, I am a risk management guru all about keeping kids safe...designing lockdown drills, researching pedophiles, preparing staff and youth for other crisis situations. But these kind of situations rock my world, because I know that despite all of our best intentions and practices we can't prevent a situation like this, only take precautions to minimize the impact and live with the consequences. The living with will surely be hard for the survivors of this tragedy.

Switching to good news...MY CAR IS HERE!!! YAY...
I am no longer bound to my sister's travel schedule or good heart to let me borrow her car. So where did I head first, why Costco of course, having no job and limited funds I don't have many options. Not that Costco is cheap, but I have become really good at just buying needed food items --- and in a fit of domesticity I divided everything up into individual freezer bags and pre-chopped veggies. Maybe all my Rachael Ray watching is finally wearing off. On the downside of having a car, it's time to start following through with my plans to temp until I find a full-time job. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment