Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Affirmations

A you can see from my blog description and previous posts I am between jobs at the moment. Mostly by choice (we'll save the 'mostly' for another blog). I have never been one for self help books and their seemingly endless lists of affirmations. When I think of affirmations I can't help but think of Stuart Smally from SNL --- ' I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn't people like me' I tried to find a video clip on the net to remind all of the classic skit --- alas no luck and back to the topic at hand. Now that I have all of this free time on my hands(more than I was hoping for to tell the truth) I have wanted to spend some time developing my skills in a couple of areas.

1. Creativity --- especially with my scrapbooking I am really hoping to be published in a magazine this year.

2. Job Skills --- specifically finding a job I love and gaining my PHR certification.

So I do what all people do with lots of time on their hands I march my self down to the nearby Barnes and Noble --- Danger!--- and buy a few books.
To address goal #1 I picked up the highly popular and recommended Artist's Way by Julia Cameron and of course it has a series of affirmations to repeat to myself on a daily basis. I once heard that affirmations are like a foreign language that you just need to keep concentrating and repeating and eventually you will be fluent. (Not that it really worked all that well w/high school french) But after a year of being in a deep black hole in this area I am willing to try anything.

So here goes...the daily affirmations:
1. I am a channel for God's creativity, and my work comes to good.
2. My dreams come from God and God has the power to accomplish the,
3. A I create and listen I will be lead.
4. Creativity is the creator's will for me
5. My creativity heals myself and others
6.I am allowed to nurture my artist
7.Through the use of a few simple tools my creativity will flourish
8. My creativity always leads me to truth and love
9. My creativity leads me to forgiveness and self-forgiveness
10. There is a divine plan of goodness for me
11. There is a divine plan of goodness for my work
12. I am willing to create
13. I am willing to learn to let myself create
14. I am willing to let God create through me
15. I am willing to be of service through my creativity
16. I am willing to experience my creative energy
17. I am willing to use my creative talents.

There it is in my print so now I've got to believe, right?. The book is big on writing morning pages and you're supposed to do them in long hand but I figured I'd just post to the blog most of the time as it's a place for random thoughts as well, and at this point very limited readership.

It is my plan to balance my days with job searching, scrapping/creating and studying for the test.

Yesterday I spent more time creating than anything else, but I was very happy with the finished project.
This is a simple paper mache box that I painted brown (not as easy as it sounds as I didn't have any brown paint). I used Heidi Swapp masks for the lid, my first time using these and I was really happy with the way the lid turned out. Sides and inside cut outs are Scenic Route, my all time fav patterned paper. I'm thinking that I might add some small ball feet to give it extra oomph. I'm so happy with it I'm considering using it as my altered item for the 'Making Memories Idol' contest.
Speaking of altered items --- I scored at Target today...composition books for .12! I am trying to figure out how to cut them on the miter saw to get the right angles to make it look like a purse...after destroying 2 books I'll ask my brother in law to help. Asking for help is a big deal for me so we'll see if it happens.
More good news...my stuff is here from Alaska. I just need to figure out how to pick it up --- 3 palettes worth --- and where to store it until I find my own place.

No comments:

Post a Comment